Sunday, March 13, 2011

Epiphany -hjc- #4

Ishmael was a young child who encountered a tragic civil war in Sierra Leone. Due to this civil war, Ishmael became separated from his family and friends and he had to go through a tough journey. His life was threatened countless times during his journey. During his journey he had to deal with intense hunger, pain and loneliness. To travel in such harsh condition must be arduous as he is only a teenager. He saw hundreds of dead bodies of his friends and families. However, Ishmael changed when he learned how to shoot a gun. At first he felt horrified of killing another human being, but eventually he got used to it.

"My squad is my family, my gun is my provider, and protector, and my rule is to kill or be killed."

From this quote, I was able to realize that Ishmael now became a deadly soldier who doesn't have fear to kill others.

However, after Ishmael has been rescued by the U.N and experienced the world out of the war zone of Sierra Leone. Now he is working in U.N as an advocate for other children forced to face the horrors of war.

No comments:

Post a Comment